View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
I think you basic assumption is correct Peter. Especially when considering the smaller pieces. I have never dabbled with non-mint struck metal and my information is from acquantainces who have had issues. From what I understand the larger the bar (usually) or piece of silver (usually) the more likely the buyer would have qualms about not getting it assayed. A lot of funny business can go on with a 100 oz. bar of silver if in the hands of someone not on the up and up.
There would be counterparty risk in a situation like that, IMHO.

I did not mean to intimate that the premium associated with state minted coins over plain bars is due to verification - I am sure they are simply more expensive to produce. Just that anyone who walks into a coin dealer with a 100 oz silver bar and plunks it down on the counter is likely going to have a different experience that if they bring in 5 US mint silver eagle tubes.
The silver eagles are certainly beautiful; the obverse is of course a reproduction of the Walking Liberty half dollar which is gorgeous.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.