View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Eddie-If I had $200 million to spend on cards I still wouldn't pay $200,000 for that Jeter card (or $20,000 or $2,000 for that matter).
Jeter will always be a debatable figure from a historical standpoint. Not debating historical significance but I would bet if you asked any Yankee fan born after 1970 who their all time favorite Yankee is, a strong majority of them would say Derek Jeter. Every New Yorker in their 40s grew up with Derek Jeter. 4 championships from 1996-2000 and Jeter was the center of it all. Just given the modern media landscape the Jeter name is probably bigger than any pre war type player to the generic baseball fan. Again not debating baseball statistics but derek Jeter definitely has historical significance. I think we’ll see it again in December when he’s the second unanimous HOFer and in July when Cooperstown has the largest attendance ever, as anticipated. That’s a lot of fans and a lot of money to follow. Jeter, Jordan, Brady different level to the modern investor.