View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Sorry to add on to an old thread – hope I’m not breaking the forum rules with my first post.

But I was interested in seeing others’ descriptions of their team sets. I’ve been compiling one since the early ‘80s, in a different way than what I’ve seen from other posters. My goal has been to collect just a single card of every Royals player and manager, in chronological order, since the start of the team in ’69.

Beyond needing a card of everyone to play in or manage a game, I set things up so that the card has to both show the player in a Royals uniform and identify him as a Royal if such a card exists. Next best is one of those two. If that isn’t possible, I look for him on a Royals minor league card. Last priority is to get a card of the player on another team. At the moment, it appears that the set is “complete,” but of course I can’t ever know for sure that I have every player at the highest possible category as I’ve defined them.

I’ve actually been very lucky in that every Royal has had a card—and that’s not counting other collectibles like postcards and team-issued photo cards (which I do not include). For one player, it took me 20 years to find the existence of a card for him, but it was a real thrill when I did—the alternative would have been an eternal hole in the set…

Anyone else doing this sort of thing with their favorite team?