View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 AM

I don't think it is so much a witch hunt, but real concerns about their shoddy work. I have my own concerns and don't really trust the ABC guys either.

I posed this question long ago and got no reply so I will pose it again, especially knowing there is at least one poster on here who works for a major auction house, but what is the process of getting these things authenticated? Do they fly someone in? Who do they fly in? How long do they examine the stuff? How much stuff that is consigned doesn't pass? When looking at larger lots, do they pull things that are not authentic?

I ask this because I one bought a signed FB lot from an auction house that supposedly had been looked at by one of the ABC guys and it was loaded with obvious forgeries that even the most novice autograph collector would be able to tell and by loaded I mean over 30% obvious fakes.

Could it be that auction houses and authenticators alike make too much money off each other to really care?

I know for me I am not on a witch hunt, but I would like a little more accountability. I mean there really should be no reason to pass a photo copy as authentic, but they seem to get a pass for it as a simple mistake, at best it is complete and total negligence, at worse it is almost criminal.

Last edited by vintagechris; 10-17-2012 at 05:55 AM.