View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Even though I despise the d**gers (even more than you could ever guess), this pennant caught my eye on eBay. The seller claims it's from the 1959 World Series. Don't know about that, but it does show the Coliseum. I like the colors.
I knew you'd finally come around, Rob. Let your inner Dodger fan out. You're among friends here....

I think we discussed this red Coliseum pennant earlier. The batter, in particular, we identified as being associated with Trench's pennants from that era. But, while I still believe Trench made this pennant, the rest of the artwork doesn't match the many, many other stadium pennants Trench made in the 1950s and 60s.

This Coliseum, in particular, is mostly empty. 92,000 empty seats, that is. Most of Trench's stadium pennants, including a subsequent version depicting the Coliseum with a Willard Mullin bum standing over the field, depict full stadiums--illustrated by a random pattern of multi-colored circles representing spectators. Not here.

The only other Trench pennant like this that comes to mind is the San Francisco Giants pennant showing the very same Trench batter standing over an illustration of Seals Stadium. That one, we agreed, looked like it was by Trench; but, again, the ballpark was drawn empty.

(I know you own it, so I'll let you post it in your response.)

I wonder if maybe the normal Trench artist was on vacation in April of 1958, when I suspect both were made?