View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Nice cards Ray & Irv. Unlike collecting the regular '52 Topps - the signed versions have their own perceived rarities. I am starting to realize how difficult it is to collect the majority of a signed '52 set.

Is there a price guide for signed versions? This would yield some clue as to the rarities.
Thanks Zach. I have read recently how popular signed cards are becoming so when I seen the signed Charlie Maxwell, and adding to the fact I had been trying to get any copy of his card anyways, I ended up getting lucky as I won this one and a few other (unsigned) 52 Topps cards.
I know there are a few on here who collect them, and like the article below reads, they are likely only going to increase in value.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#318f35b67d55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
The best way to gauge rarity with signed52T starts with the DOD. (Date of Death). The further back our cardboard heroes DOD goes the lesser likelihood that they would have signed a lot of original 52T cards (Reprints aside).
Those individuals from this set who died in the last 20 years and are a part of the low number grouping are reasonably easy to get as the hobby for signed cards has exploded. Mind you they are still not cheap and will carry a premium over most ungraded cards (condition considered).
HOF'ers are another matter. Most are pricey.
Lastly; high numbers are really tough. Their original scarcity combined with the fact that most collectors of this set balk on buying them to try and get them signed has left the marketplace thin on available examples.
All this added to the fact that most players are now deceased, makes this venture a very challenging one.
There is a great article on this subject in a recent PSA SMR Magazine.
Here's a little more eye candy:

Lastly; this thread was meant to provide a space for recent signed acquisitions from any vintage set. Please feel free to share anything at all.
RayB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
Here's a few post war beauties:

• 1953 St. Louis Browns Team Issued Postcard signed by Don Larsen
• 1956 Pittsburgh Pirates Team Issued Postcard signed by Bill Mazeroski
• 1957 Cleveland Indians Team Issued Postcard signed by Roger Maris
• 1957 Washington Senators Team Issue signed by Whitey Herzog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Ray--variant collectors seem to recognize at least 3 versions of the 52 Feller. Slats in background, no slats in background and very light slats in background. Could just be the scan but I do not see any slats in the one you posted
Great info and great looking cards guys!