View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Rich Klein

Default An Anlysis and a random thought

Of the top 10 viewed threads; I found this very interesting as, although random, and based on only a few months of history; shows what the interests of this board are.

And the results:

5 of the top 10 are about the hobby "dark side"

3 of those 4 relate to Mastro/Legendary/Silk Road and issues they have had (and may continue to have)

1 was about Kevin Saucier/Scott Elkins and a whole bunch of yapping.

1 was from Mr. Dan Markel about cards which a Scott Susor may have micro-trimmed. We learned from that thread that even a link to a thread mentioning his name on the PSA boards results in an istant "poof"

4 of the top 10 belong to "Pick-Up" threads. And since this board is not a meet market; that shows just how fascinated we are with what we acquire and that others are interested in what gets traded over a month.

and rounding out the top 10; a thread about how we would improve the National Convention.

What does this mean? I'm not sure. And the latest Marshall thread is now just outside the top 10 (situated at position #12 and needs to climb two more notches to make the top 10). Late Breaking News: Due to locking of thread; the top 10 will remain the same until the next exciting event in Net 54.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Random Thought time:

The issue about Legendary charging their consigners to get cards graded is an interesting one. The question becomes; and I suppose without looking at their books none of us knows this answer is,...

Is Doug and company actually passing on actual grading costs (and does all that grading need to be done) or are they treating the grading costs as a profit center.

You realize that many of us would say something like "Heck; if I could get cards graded for $5 under a special deal that most customers would have to pay a minimum of $8, why should I not take advantage of that for my bottom line."

I think this is a grayer area than we realize in terms of running an auction house and I'd be interested in everyone's opinion as to whether making a profit on graded cards is OK or if the auction house should just absorb a cost; which could be considerable (for example, think about how many of the Lionel Carter cards were graded and now that they are in holders; how much better the provenance is)

Regards
Rich

Note -- Matt's idea is fine as well, but I still want to hear all the sides in this.

Last edited by Rich Klein; 09-02-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: updated after the locked thread