View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Default Ballparks to visit before you die

Posted By: Brian

I have been fortunate to have gone to almost all stadiums in my 31 years. I am a devout Yankee fan, and I have seen my share of games there. I agree with some that the neighborhood is not what I would classify as great, but it adds to the mystique. As far as the Yankees not being approachable, Dion James and Danny Tartabul are in a different League than A-Rod and Jeter, comparing the team of today, to the team of 20 years ago, is not apples and oranges, it's like comparing apples and a**holes.

Fenway is a great classic park, just don't wear Yankee gear, there is always someone willing to lose a beer to make a point.
Wrigley is a cathedral, and should be labeled as such. The neighborhood around it, the fans, it is baseball
Comiskey was great, I just always felt like the second deck was going to come crashing down
Old Tiger Stadium, classic, just don't stay after dark
New Comiskey or whatever the hell they call it is about as Vanilla as they come.
PNC is a new classic

I'd also like to give a nod to The Vet, 3 Rivers, Busch Stadium, and The Kingdome, rest in pieces. May Kaufman Stadium join you soon, (renovation plans aside, the phrase polishing a terd comes to mind)

Shea stadium will better serve the world as a parking lot.

Turner Field, Safeco, Camden, Pac Bell, Anaheim and Bank One Ballpark (or whatever they are called now) are all Disney imagineered parks, with the "experience" in mind, great for the kids.

There are a lot of great parks out there, no time to go through them all, one of my favorites that is no longer standing though, NY-Penn League former home of the Auburn Astros, never have so much chicken wire and plywood come together in such a wonderful way. Tetanus shot required to sit behind the plate.