Thread: Chasing Ink
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 08:12 PM
Curt

I got Gibson at the All Star Fan Fest in '01. I don't recall anything negative for anyone, including Gibson. I think Cepeda was sick at the time and I only had an archives card that beaded up a bit. Would have preferred vintage cards for everyone, but went with what I could get on short notice. I was happy to get everyone there, but I didn't have access to my cards at the time, so a lot of what I got signed was not what I would have preferred. I was also not looking for photos or anything like that. I was mainly there to try to meet Steve Garvey for the first (and only to date) time, so the rest was bonus.

I have an extensive Garvey collection, but sadly, what I got signed in my only in-person encounter with him was a cheap printer copy of the 75 Dodgers yearbook! I would like a do over on that one if the opportunity presents itself.

Gaylord Perry might have been the grouchiest person who I got at a public signing. There was an interesting moment in his grouchiness, where he mumbled something about not giving "them" permission for something when he saw one of my newer jersey GU cards.

Dave Stewart may have been my favorite. He was signing before a minor league game, after he tossed out the first pitch. He kind of asked me if it was ok that he not sign certain things (I was trying to help some others out and had a variety of stuff). He told me he didn't sign Rangers or Phillies stuff. I was there for Dodgers stuff thankfully.

He saw a Dodgers police card, said he had not seen one before and started telling a story about remembering that specific game. I ended up giving him one and he seemed excited about getting it. I went through the line several times and at one point he offered to sign everything I had, but there were others in line and I still had a lot of stuff. I passed for the sake of those behind me and just circled back around as many times as I was able.