View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 09:36 PM

Isn't it funny? If you hadn't bothered to get DiMaggio, you'd actually be doing fine! Fast forward nearly 25 years, and you lost money on that one! Too bad we didn't all spring for signed RCs back then. Mantle's RC would still have broken the bank, but all the others you mentioned were affordable at that time. Live and learn.

I had a similar project with the "Classic Baseball Cards" coffee table book. I interviewed/visited many players and always brought the book with me for them to sign. I'd much rather have an autographed 1922 American Caramel Joe Hauser or a T207 Red Hoff at this point. In those pre-internet days, finding such cards was impossible where I lived; the book sufficed.

While there are a handful of that signed Hauser card out there, I can't recall seeing an autographed T207 Hoff. I seem to remember that his card commanded a slight premium over other commons way back when, but why on earth weren't at least a few people getting these signed while they could? Mifsud, have you seen one?

Edit: I actually do remember one T207 Hoff signed on the verso and want to say it was in black marker that had aged to a blueish tone.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 02-10-2019 at 10:06 PM.