View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Administrator

Default To share or Not to share ??

Posted By: Joann

Hal,

I far prefer that people share their cards. I've been to your website, and it's impressive. But while an alphabetical layout is efficient, it doesn't speak to any theme. Posts here allow duffers like me to link a variety of images directly with issues, topics, questions, commonalities, etc without having to put it together from a variety of sources, sites, etc.

Second, I love seeing the really great cards - great for rarity, condition or both - that people actually own (somehow different than seeing them on auction sites). It's a vicarious thrill, I guess - kind of like watching Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, or some Yacht-of-the-Week show or something like that. lol. Your posts in the HOF thread were breathtaking. I couldn't wait to see which one you were going to be able to put up next, with four cards each.

Finally, kind of a flip side to the second point above, I've learned something important and interesting from people's scans. Like I said, I am definitely a duffer at this. THe different scans show me that lots and lots of serious people here, well known people, will still pick up lower graded cards even in relatively common types. Somehow I had thought that everyone else was only NM and better, and I was the only one thrilled to get a Cobb Bat-off in Grade 2. I'm not sure why that was important to learn, but it was. It somehow makes the hobby seem...more inclusive? Sorry - that's poorly articulated but the best I can do.

Anyway, Hal and everyone - post post post those scans! I don't consider it showing off or arrogant in the least. It's a service to those of us that are not as advanced as many posters here.

My 1/50th of a dollar's worth.

J