View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 11:21 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
He has a BUNCH of 1980 Topps cards with no names that I am very skeptical of. I can't think of any logical reason why all of those cards would be printed without names when the same ink is not missing from the rest of the card. I might be opening myself up to a libel case but I suspect that someone either removed the names with an eraser or used chemicals to remove the names. Here are scans of a few of them.
To follow-up on this post from LY.... I had forgotten that I had placed this 80 T Kobel card in a west facing window in order to see how it would compare to the 3 cards in Cliff's post. Well, below is the Kobel (with the bottom intentionally sunbathed), IMO it looks like the Kobel's red lettering is further bleached than the 3 cards Cliff found being offered on ebay. When compared to the Kobel, it appears to be a near certainty that the Rice, Tom P. and Nettles card were sunbathed to remove the red colored player name and it does not appear to be a factory misprint on these 3 cards.

Also evident on the bottom of the Kobel is which primary color fades first, second and third on a 1980 Topps card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80 no name nettles.jpg (181.8 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 80 no name poquette.jpg (186.3 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 80 no name rice.jpg (156.8 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (202.0 KB, 213 views)