Thread: Hal Newhouser
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I was thinking of 46, the Enos Slaughter play, when he was definitely at SS, but you're right he moved over after 47. In any case, Vern Stephens had some HUGE years for the Red Sox in that time period, 130 RBI type seasons. 1ndeed, a 159 RBI season. I doubt Rizzuto would have been an improvement notwithstanding his intangibles.

OK, I'm guessing that you are doubting that Ted Williams said what I said he said regarding Phil Rizzuto ? ?

That's your prerogative. However, I have no reason to have "fabricated" this. I had a very friendly conversation with Ted for about an hour. He did most of the talking
and I did a lot of listening.
The subject of Rizzuto came up when I told Ted that I grew up in Hillside, NJ two blocks of where Rizzuto lived. And, I was an avid Yankees fan. Ted, then, responded
with what I said in the above post. His comment did surprise me. But, Ted elaborated on the benefits of having a very effective lead-off hitter like Rizzuto.

Yes, Stephens had a "big bat" (he batted clean-up). But trust me, Ted Williams favored Rizzuto.

TED Z

T206 Reference