View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Todd Schultz

An update on my end, and maybe my last post on the subject. I had a pleasant and rational ebay exchange with the seller, who explained how it is he came into possession of the card. As others suspected, he acquired it by auction from the USPS in Georgia. I explained my position on the card, and how it had been sold to a board member in California, only to be lost, and that I had received a notice from USPS that they had found the mailing label but no box. Per their form, I specifically requested that they try and match any unopened packages with the contents of mine, i.e, the 1928 McGraw, a large photocopy of which I provided. This was back in November, and about a month ago I received a letter from them stating my contents could not be found.

It seems they were not all that thorough in their search, and that my card was among the many items they auction off in bulk to people like this ebay seller. After discussing it with the seller and explaining my transaction with Louie, he agreed to consider selling it to him under the terms I had sold it previously. Inasmuch as I already had received payment and the insurance had paid for the loss, I was not really out anything, nor was Louie. I am happiest that the card survived and remains available to the hobby instead of being forever lost or destroyed. I am also glad to report that this seller appears to be upstanding and reasonable, and I hope Louie gets his card--I'll let him take it from here.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-21-2015 at 10:14 AM.