View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 07:10 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I build sets as a dealer. How, you might ask, is it possible to make a profit? I buy thousands of cards in lots and assemble sets from them I don't even look at individual cards until I'm at LEAST 90% done. If I buy a lot of 5,000 1975 Topps that's easily the base for 6 sets but I might get the lot for $200. Maybe I'll buy a lot of 70's rookies. Maybe 100 mixed rookies for a few hundred. Out of that I may get 2 or 3 or more Bretts, Younts, Rice, Carter etc... Also I try and do EX or better sets, so I can sell of all the lower end singles in bulk lots of my own.

I have actually put together sets virtually for free when you take into account cards I've sold from lots that I didn't need for sets. Time is the real cost for me, not money.
I have built almost my entire collection on this exact premise.....like many, when I get down to needing just a few cards to finish a set, I do tend to purchase those cards individually(and regretfully pay $3+ for s/h for each). For me it is about the chase also, I just prefer the chase to be realized by going through bulk lots I recently purchased (and will later resell for a small profit) versus paying s/h on each card that I add to my collection. If I took the route of buying each card individually (and paying s/h on each card), I would be lucky if my collection would be 10% of its current size.