View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 12:47 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I grew up with dogs and they all eventually died. Some lived to old age, others died in accident. One thing that may be comforting is that dogs and cats simply aren't designed to to live as long as humans; they aren't conscious of their lifespan/death/etc as we humans are-- they're in the moment animals-- and an enjoyable, well-treated three year life is a good life to them. What matters to a dog or cat is how it's treated by its owners during the day to day, not ideas (which it doesn't have) of life span or mortality. A well treated, happy cat that lives 2 years has a better life than a abused cat that lives 20 (Yes, I'm a quality of life person). And last, you really wouldn't want your pet to live 200 years, because you would die first and wouldn't be around to make sure its properly taken care of. Since a pet has a short life, you can be make sure of it having a good, enjoyable life.

Sad feelings are eventually replaced by fond rememberances. I remember all past pets clearly and their different personalities and good times they had.

Last edited by drcy; 05-20-2015 at 01:26 PM.