View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Default JimStinson

The research is the "fun" part of collecting, In a similar vein a long time ago I bought a government postcard signed by Grover Cleveland Alexander , it was postmarked about three years before his death from a very small town in Texas, I mean SMALL population was less than 100 people and the town was in the middle of no where , Could not find any connection between Alexander and the GPC being postmarked from the small Texas town.

I researched it and found that he spent that part of his life either in Nebraska or LA , His wife kept leaving him and they had numerous break ups and reconciliations. But never a connection to that little town in Texas.

After I had owned it for a few years I happened to be driving through Texas on the interstate and the town was about 50 miles off the freeway so I thought "What the heck" , When I drove through there was NO downtown , not even really a town, ....It was a real mystery until I found the post office ....It was a tiny building no bigger than a walk in closet but........IT WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THE RAILROAD TRACKS , which happened to be on the old train route from Nebraska to LA. Mystery solved.

No doubt on one of his trips Alexander signed his fan mail , wrote his letters and when the train stopped to pick up or drop off mail in this tiny Texas town it ended up with the postmark.

Jim Stinson Buying and Selling Vintage autographs
stinsonsports.com