View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage information needed

Posted By: davidcycleback

The deceased Hugh Addonizio was a famous/infamous politician, Mayor of Newark NJ, US Congressman and imprisoned for mob activity. Most people, even political collectors, don't realize he was the quarterback for the legendary 1930s 'Seven Blocks of Granite' Fordham football team, that included lineman Vince Lombardi. I've bought Addonizio's autographs in political collections, and sold them as football autographs. In fact, I had no trouble selling them to footballers after explaining who he quarterbacked for.

I think in general most baseball memorabilia is obviously baseball. Notable exceptions is the Life magazine with Richard Burton and Liz Taylor in Cleopatra on the cover that includes a Post baseball card sample with Mickey Mantle and the 1800s Harper's Weeklys with baseball woodcuts inside.

My brother in law collects non-sport autographs and he told me to to look inside the book covers of books in used book stores, as you will occasionally find one signed by the author. He got a Jimmy Carter signed book for like $3 that way.