View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 AM
Bob Davies

Default HA LOA Wasn't Asked For

I have to tell you about my recent (and only) experience with Heritage, and their LOA's. In the early November 2015 auction, I consigned two pieces. One was a Jerry Rice 49er game worn jersey from the mid 90's, and the second was an Andres Galarraga Expos uniform (jersey and pants) from 1987. The Rice jersey came with an LOA from Carmen Policy, and the Galarraga jersey had his signature on the Expos logo on the front of the jersey. I'd had both pieces for years.

When the listings were done, there was an additional LOA from HA on the Rice gamer, and another LOA from HA on the signature of the Galarraga. At that time, I naively thought "Wow, what a nice touch to add an HA LOA to each piece."

When I finally got my check for the lots (at the end of December), there was a charge for each of the LOA's totaling (if I recall) $250. I was pretty pi$$ed. To me, the $100 for the Galarraga signature verification did nothing to add to the credibility or increasing the bid total. As for the Rice gamer, the LOA from Carmen Policy on 49er stationary provided credibility far outweighing any LOA Heritage could provide. That piece cost me $150.

I felt ripped off, as I was not asked if I wanted Heritage LOA's, nor was I informed there would be a charge when they produced them.

To me, it was an excuse to keep an additional $250 from the sale of the items, without running it my me prior.