View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Market commentary for today is a little better. Seems to me that some of the dealers started loosening up a bit. Some of the cards I was watching disappeared on return, but a few others were still there. The most action by far is on the modern stuff, which may be somewhat of a commentary on the different dealers. I think this younger bunch may "get it" a little more, just in terms of willingness to move things around. The "old guard" can be so difficult to work with.

There's one guy in particular, he's got some really nice stuff. But good grief he is so gruff, and I saw all these same cards in his case last year - and the year before that - and the year before that. And he's still the same unlikable fellow he's been every time. Here's an example. A guy walks up with a 1955 Ted Williams PSA 5, nice looking card, asks if they might be interested in it. Guy doesn't even get out of his chair, his "assistant" walks it over to him. And he says, just about as disgustedly as he could, "I've got a low grade one of those in my case already for $425, why would I be interested in that?". OK, good information. Except, the one in the case is a PSA 6, with a VCP of $376, and last two sales are $350 or less. Just saying. How about just be nice, hey that's a great card but I have one, however keep shopping it - people are always interested in nice looking HOFers. I mean he never even got to the part of whether the guy was selling or trading.

Saw this sign at another table, just so inviting isn't it? I'm thinking about making one for my buddy above.
[]

Anyway, enough complaining. Here's my haul for the day.

BBCE and their singles helped me out on my set. 1957 Football, all 8s.
[]

Also snagged these beauties, so nice for the grades. Corners are rounded which is the only thing holding these back.
[]

I love Walter Johnson. Wasn't really looking for this, but got a pretty good deal I thought so went ahead and picked it up.
[]

Always love the autographs, this is one of my favorite items. Just can't get enough of them.
[]

And ran across these walking around. Told them "I'm really your only shot at selling these." They tried to tell me how Tiger was having a resurgence, but I reminded them that David wasn't. Masters flags are always cool, but the US Open flag is a 2008, which is his last major...so far. I've got several Tigers, but these were just too cool to pass up.
[]
[]

That's it for Thursday. I'm headed out for Round 3!