View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post

The issue I have with your comment is that you think there is no process and the amount of time is unsatisfactory to you. If they choose to put one second, one minute, or one hour in to an item, that is their right to do so. They are putting their reputation on the line. If their reputation is damaged, then the market will reflect this and their business will go away after the market corrects.
I have no skin in the autograph game - precisely for what has come to light in this thread. While the above that you shared is a great THEORY - taking into consideration the imperfection of markets - it is often NOT how it works in practice. I have read a number of articles and watched a specific video done under cover catching Spence authenticating a signature that the under cover reporter had signed hours earlier and confronted by the ball player (Sal Bando). Problem is - most collectors do not do the same level of due diligence and do not know about these incidents - as most will never read this thread! So history has shown - there is no "market correction" as you suggest - just the continued proliferation of greed, forged autographs, altered cards and worthless opinions. While I do not know who they are, I understand there are guys doing this for long enough that the small few "in the know" rely on for truly expert opinions - guys who may have made honest mistakes, but have stood the test of time without the repeated carelessness and controversy and apparent negligence as some mentioned in this thread. Forgery is a crime. Is claiming to be an "expert" when your history has shown (imo) that you are not? Outside of netting you more money - how is this all possibly good for the hobby?