View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Any time I want something gone I just put it at the curb with a sign that says "$10 put payment in mailbox" and it is gone within a few hours [no money, of course]. I've put things put with "free" signs and they dont get taken.

I figure lots of things are staged on those shows; they'd have to be. In my experience the kind of person who abandons a locker doesn't have good stuff to begin with, though there are exceptions. But antiques and such every time, no way. I can see how a junk shop owner could make out if they buy at the right price. I also never bought the enmity between the bidders. Us card geeks are battle-hardened auction veterans. I've probably been to dozens of live auctions and participated in hundreds of online ones and I've never gone out of my way to 'stick' someone with a bad lot. No one takes that risk as a professional and I find it highly implausible that these supposed pro auction buyers get caught up in such petty BS; certainly has to be scripted.
I've never seen as much "sticking" it to them as with any of these auction shows... Every seller seems to be out to get the other...

In reality I'm good friends with most of the people who go the auctions and lots sell for half price or less due to people letting others have lots.