Thread: Unusual Wrapper
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
You have to wonder about stuff like that. If the store had no collectors who had the chance to backdoor the left overs and otherwise nobody cared and the store didn't just blow all of the extras out at the end to customers who cared enough to take them, they probably got tossed away in bulk!

I wonder how many McDonalrds football cards with the scratch tickets at the bottom got tossed? I know they are not tough cards, but those coupons were for money off product or free food, so the managers probably had to get rid of extras.
I had a friend working for McDonalds when the football cards were being issued. The coupons were a bit limited timewise, I think good for maybe a week after the 4 week promotion. I couldn't get any of the leftovers from the first three weeks, but he set aside and gave me a trash bag full of cards from the last week. (Patriots, green tab) Came out to 112 sets plus a few hundred extras. And I got two of the counter sheets showing which coupons were out there. Looked for variations after seeing many duplicated and found that was exactly it, all the duplicated ones had differences.

Sort of surprising that a McDonalds promotion even a regional would be so tough. Big chain, with big sales usually won't make for tough cards. Maybe a small run offered until they were gone? Maybe by one big franchisee?

Steve B