View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM
Steve

Default Genius of George Moll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs70sCards View Post
That's an interesting comment. From my perspective, how would you not like a color set with really exciting and interesting poses? What is it about these cards that kids didn't like at the time?

I like Topps and all, but if I won lotto this is the first set I'm buying

EDIT: Thanks for posting that article Ted Z. Sometimes I'm slow to post and didn't see it.
Al is certainly correct about the 1953 Topps cards outselling Bowmans' issue that year, but that fact was was not due to kids preferring the Topps cards at all. Rather, the relatively poorer sales figures for Bowman had to do with a smaller distribution and probably lower production numbers overall. Personally, I can recall kids in my schoolyard falling all over each other to get a look at the new Bowmans when they hit the stores that spring. The amazing color photography and innovative design impressed kids far more than the more pedestrian hand-drawn artwork used by Topps. Nonetheless, more kids had stacks of the Topps cards simply because that was what they found on store shelves and countertops. I recall riding a bike all over my small (40K) hometown trying to find the Bowman cards without much success that year. Candy distributors just bought many more cases of Topps product than Bowman regardless of what kids might have preferred.