View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
This thread has been great. I didn't know much about the 47 Bond Bread issue. It looks like the portrait was issued along with 12 other cards in a sub set? There also seems to be two different Jackie cards in the regular 1947 set (one with clipped corners and one without)? Interested to know why some consider the white border portrait his RC and not the others issued in the sub set or the regular portrait card in the set?

edited to add - I'm wondering if the large number of Jackie cards in this set and sub set has added to lack of demand and depression on pricing. Or is this card ready to see an Exhibit Gehrig take off?
I should probably defer to Shaun because I know he's done extensive research and is an expert on the set, but I believe it was confirmed (by Shaun or possibly Ted Z...I can't remember) via advertising from the period that the Portrait with Facsimile Auto (white bordered card) was a promotional card distributed to retailers and that's why there were potentially more of those cards in existence and that survived. This is reflected in the population reports, with the number of Portrait w/ facsimile graded cards far exceeding the other 12 cards in the white bordered subset. That said there are only just over 100 graded Portrait w/ facsimile auto cards between SGC/PSA. Other cards in the subset are extremely rare (less than 15 graded in some cases and depending on the pose).

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 08-15-2017 at 05:09 PM.