View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 05:47 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I always had cards as a kid but I also had media guides and yearbooks (the NY Islanders and Mets that I remember) which I loved reading while I ate breakfast. After college (1986) a buddy and I started buying card collections and doing card shows. We stopped when I moved for my job. I enjoyed the cards but got back into the publications in the late 80's. I found that it was easier to buy memorabilia and publications because there were no price guides and they were not as condition sensitive. I also liked that a publication had all of the players photos, historical information and the period related advertising.

If you are focused, you can find great deals on eBay and also learn a lot by searching completed items. In a few months, you will have a pretty good knowledge base of what is out there and how much it should cost. I think that you will find that the Cardinals items will be more affordable and readily available. The AFL has a big following and you will definitely find more competition and higher prices for those items.

Good luck.

Jeff
Jeff, I have already noticed the AFL publications are somewhat more pricey than other items I like. I agree with you that it is a matter of just shopping around and learning the market. I also like what you mentioned regarding the absence of price guides and matters of condition being a bit more in the eye of the beholder.

When I dig myself out of paying for those two AFL football sets, I will be dipping my toe in the water with some pennants or programs. They are just so attractive. Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk