View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 12:43 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Hard to go wrong with the great John L, he has so many more cards to collect than most old boxers.

My favorite is Mike Donovan, because he is the key to my favorite set. He was very famous in his own time and there are several books on him from the period (plus his own works) I've tracked down. Because he was a champion before the card era, he has a limited number of cards. He only has:

N226 Red Cross Boxing Positions - pretty tough set, posed with Billy Edwards
N332 S.F. Hess - Tough to find a specific card, just a handful of Donovans out there
T220 White - only fighter with 2 solo poses, each with 3 backs and 1 of the poses has 2 variations of the front on the Mecca backs. Also has the T223's that I'm not confident should be treated as a different set anymore. 10 total cards with all variations
T220 Silver - 1 pose, one of the great SP'd T cards with only 5 copies known + the uncut panel of 8 proofs.
2013 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions High Number SP - his only card since 1911. There are no parallels since the SP'd high numbers only have a base card that year.

I need a Red Cross and a Hess to finish the Donovan master (counting each of the T220 back and front variations) of only 14 cards ever produced (that I am aware of). Those will not come easy since I am looking for a specific card in those issues. Type's aren't that bad to find with a little patience, but a specific one takes some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Donovan.jpg (101.1 KB, 208 views)