View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 01:25 PM
Dave H@rford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I agree with last post. I asked this question last year at the national in A.C. and was told that for the most part altered stock qualifiers ment that the card was pressed either on purpose or by a screw down case. I had a number of 80's rookies come back this way ( Montana, Gwynn, McGwire etc) and I had removed them from heavy screw down cases. PSA rep showed me where you could see a very light surface wrinkle had been flattened. I can't see it without magnification but that is what I would look for on your Clemente.
I just received a 1954 card back from PSA with this N5-Altered Stock non-graded rating. I have not owned the card but for the last few years, so do not know if it had previously been placed in a screw-down case. I cannot see any "wrinkles" that may have been flattened. A friend mentioned that maybe the card corners are "flatter" due to the screw-down. If the corners have been thinned due to prolonged pressure, is there anyway to salvage this card? Will the card "re-form" over time? Any thing I need to do to save this card or do I just replace it?
Dave