View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well having been on both sides of the table for 30+ years (damn I am getting old), there are a lot of cross-cutting issues at work at the same time for dealers.

I usually bring some 'eye candy' to shows, cards I really do not want to sell unless I get a really great offer. Call it the live equivalent of a crazy BIN on eBay. So they definitely fall under the my way or the highway banner. I've gotten those offers from time to time.

Many of the weekend warriors who take a space at a local show don't do this for a living. They do it to get the chance at wholesale buys, to make some cash for further collecting, to gradually downsize, or because the wife demands it. In other words, moving inventory is not the only priority. One of our members here (I won't say who since his wife may be reading) once had an entire showcase at one National full of cards that were priced so high that they were basically not for sale because he had promised his wife he would take them to the show and offer them for sale. As far as I know he's still married and got away with it!

eBay has both killed shows and made selling at them less desperate. While it is always nice to make lots of sales, I don't "have to" move merch at a show because I can list it in my eBay store and retail it there.

The issue of when to take a loss is a difficult one. I certainly have cards I am upside down on. I sell them from time to time when it makes sense. One observation on this: I am much more likely to sustain a loss on a sale if I have had a really strong sale day already. If I am asked to discount and lose money at the start of the day, I am less likely to do so, but with a wad of cash in hand, I might say WTF. eBay affects that too: I don't "have to" take a loss at a show because I can probably find a buyer online if I am going to lose money.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-13-2017 at 05:26 PM.