View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Val Kehl

Echoing what Sean and others have said, this is also one of my favorite all-time threads. I've always liked the Hugh Jennings cards with the orange background (orange is my favorite color), so when I won Leon's T216 Virginia Extra of Jennings in last year's Heritage auction to go with the T216 Mino and T216 Kotton Cigs of Jennings already in my type collection, I decided to work on a back run of this Jennings pose. Many thanks to Bryan L. (Net54 handle is "Jobu") for kindly taking my scans of the 8 cards I now have and turning them into the striking depiction seen below.

To the best of my knowledge, I need the following 9 cards to complete this back run (which I have no illusion of ever expecting to complete, but I'll have fun trying): D303 General baking, D303 Mother's Bread, E92 Croft's Candy-red & black backs, E101 anonymous set of 50, E105 Mello-Mint Gum, E106 American Caramel, and the two different back versions of T216 Kotton Tobacco. If I am wrong about this, someone please let me know.

One aspect of this back run that I find interesting is that the products advertised - bread, beverage, candy, chewing gum, eggs, and tobacco products (plus an anonymous issuer) - pretty much cover the entire gamut of the advertising found on pre-War cards.

Another interesting aspect to me is the great differences in the orange color of the background, from a rather light orange color to a deep orange-red color, which is immediately apparent from the way Bryan positioned the cards.
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jennings back run - by color - compress.jpg (87.8 KB, 453 views)