View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

That's a really great one.

The closest I have is this

The thing on the left is a thin paper poster about 8 1/2 x11 showing German Alonso and Julio Capdepont who were apparently sponsored by Bianchi. They won the Uruguayan national championship in "inseparable pairs" which I think was a two person team time trial, in 1925. The other stuff is all Capdeponts. A photo, his racing license, and a few medals including the national champion medal.

What's a bit sad is that I got it all on Ebay from a seller in Uruguay, All individually, and for roughly the price of a nice lunch including the shipping.

Cycling was huge at the time. There were a couple competing top level circuits, both pro and amateur, often with little difference in the quality of competition. There were some regularly scheduled meets for the pros, and in between a lot of local races for the amateurs. The pro races usually had a full day of amateur racing the day before. The more local amateur races would hire pros to do special events like Balds record attempt, or a special head to head race. Top pros made very good money in appearance fees.

Steve B