View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 03:58 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

OK, I guess I'm just being overly cautious. I am most familiar with Nolan Ryan's autograph, as I have been collecting him since the 1970s, and he is my favorite player of all time.

On the Ryan, I don't like the combination of style between first and last name. In my experience, by the time Nolan dropped the "a" from his first name, he had already dropped the verticle transition line between the "R" and "y" in his last name. So, to me, if there is no visible "a" in his first name, there should also be no verticle line between the "R" and "y" in the last.

On the Mays, I don't like the waviness and multiple directions of the letters in his first name. If you look at the example posted after the OP's ball, you'll see that "Willie" is straight, and the letters all point to the top-left. On the OP's ball the writing is wavy, and the last two letters go in a different direction.

I'm less knowledgeable on the Koufax and DiMaggio. I don't like the waviness of the "y" in "Sandy", and something about the DiMaggio just strikes me as "off". Combined with my feelings on the Ryan and Mays, I just have to lump the DiMaggio and Koufax in with them.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 07-21-2018 at 04:00 PM.