View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 01:33 PM

Default Postmark on Postcards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Just curious - What are your opinions on postal cancellations on the post cards?

I like seeing the date/city where the post card was used. What' really nice are cancellations for different dates with baseball historical significance.

Does anybody know how widespread "fake" cancellations are? This is the part that sucks - you find a neat niche and somebody has to figure out a way to capitalize on it and screw things up.

What's the best way to try to determine if a postal cancellation is "faked"?

Perhaps I should just start a new thread on that topic. Holy cow - I didn't realize this thread is over 1750 posts - wow!
Good question - I like a postmark because it can identify the team, give you a starting point for research, and help justify the results.

Forgery schemes are for profit - the postmark and the stamp add nostalgia, but as far as value, I can't recall seeing a postmarked card grading higher than - "Authentic" - "1" or "1.5" by any grading company - probably because this feature could be faked and/or is not part of the original card. Those seem to be the automatic "default" grades for mailed cards.

In our hobby, the higher the grade, the higher the value - thus, it makes more sense not to postmark or add writing to a postcard.

Where I could see something like this being done, are for historic events - like a postcard of the Titanic being mailed the day of departure... I would guess those are the postcards that should be scrutinized most.