View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think it would be a nice gesture if they put in Rose and Joe Jackson at the same time. But I'm not expecting that anytime soon.

One thing that also keeps Rose out is some of the other stuff he did off the field. Like selling the same "bat that got hit # XXXX" to several different people. I don't recall his ever using 4-5 bats simultaneously.

The modern guys I'm on the fence about. Technically, they didn't cheat as it wasn't against the rules at the time. But it's not really a hall of fame, nor as it often appears a hall of easily measured stats. It is a hall of popularity, especially popularity with the press. I think it's a bit unfortunate but public opinion as led by the press will judge them pretty harshly. Especially Bonds.

He's an especially sad case, I took a good long look at his career stats, and I came to the conclusion that barring major injury he would have set the home run record only a couple years later, maybe only a year later. (Unless you assume he'd been on the juice for years)

I honestly think they all belong, Juiced batters hitting off juiced pitchers, seems a bit of a wash. Over the long run I think people will consider it as hard to compare steroid era guys to other eras as it is to compare deadball era guys to those that came later.

Steve B