View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 04:02 AM
Owen R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
How do you not count the Baltimore News for Ruth since it was a minor league issue, but count the T210 for Jax even though it was as well?
I know both the T210 Jackson and Babe Ruth Baltimore News are both minor league cards, but it's a bit complicated, I only consider the Baltimore News to be a "pre-rookie," whilst the T210 Jackson is just a rookie (maybe not even that).

Ruth played with the Baltimore Orioles in 1914, and his "pre-rookie" was issued sometime around that. His M101-4 (and others) were not issued until circa 1916. I consider the true rookie of a player to be their first major league card appearance.

With Jackson it is a bit different. Joe went in between the majors and minors from 1908 until 1910, he played his first full major lg. season in 1911. During this time, Joe played with the Philly Athletics in 1908 and '09. He was traded to the Naps in '10 where his played with the New Orleans Pelicans in the minors and finished the season with the Naps. Joe's E90-1 card pictures him with the Athletics so it must have been issued (or at least the picture is from) in 1909 (E90-1 production didn't start till '09). Jackson is one of the most common cards in the set, leading me to believe that his was issued in most or all of the E90-1 years (1909-11), but ACC didn't both to change his team due to being in and out of the minors. Joe didn't play for the Pelicans (who he is pictured with in T210) until 1910 (also being T210's approx issue date). This leads me to believe that the E90-1 card came before the T210, although his E90-1 production may have run during and past T210 production if Joe was printed in multiple years.

Sorry for writing too much, I probably could have just used a couple sentences,

thanks,

Owen