View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 09:57 AM
P@trick R.omolo

[QUOTE=jacksoncoupage;2419844][QUOTE=Pat R;2419828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post

I agree that layouts didn't change.

It seems like you are onto something with A*B* cards. Its just so bizarre to me that only 1/2 the sheet would get it but I understand why you think so, it sure is looking that way. I wish I had kept better track of the A*B* cards as they turned up, I had just assumed this entire time that all A* cards got the A*B* treatment at some point in the production run.

This means that I'll have to take another look at my bold logo cards since whenever I opened product and got them, I'd look at the first A* player and if it didnt have the A*B*, I wouldn't flip the rest over.

And thats another interesting find on the Hill, I'll update the list. Now I'm wondering if it affected all six sheets (Reardon, Osuna and Bergman don't seem to have this variation...).

Lots of great work Pat, I think a those of us who dig this strange set really appreciate this!
I have been doing some deep digging on the variations the past few weeks and here are some of my thoughts on them.

There seem to be 3 or 4 different groups that a particular variation can be placed in and I think that had to do with the printing stages that can be broken down into A-B-C or A-B-C-D.

What I mean by that is I think each printing was kind of like an assembly line. I really only collected baseball cards and a very small amount of football cards back then so I don't know the timeframe on the basketball and hockey that well.

I know topps printed a wide variety of cards but if I'm not mistaken the 4 sports were their biggest volume.

The 91 baseball printing probably started when they were in the middle to the end of either the 90 basketball or hockey printing and that's where I think the A printing of the 91 baseball started before moving to to the B and possibly C printing when the 90 basketball or hockey was finishing up. When the 91 football printing got in full swing that's when the C and or D period of the 91 baseball printing stage started.

I think that's where the variations are broken down into groups with the scarce variations printed in either the A or C/D stage and the common variations were printed in between.

The #21 Joe Morgan card is a good example of the different stages. there are 3 or 4 different variations I think I have one where the top of the 1 is clipped off but I couldn't locate it to see if it is the "tilted" or regular printed variation but either way I think it was just a period where there was some kind of obstruction for a short period during one of those printings.

The 87 hits was printed during the A stage and it is actually scarce enough that it might have shared that stage with the "tilted" 1 variation. I think the "tilted" variation was printed during part of the B stage and possibly the A stage also before the correction was made and the regular 187 was printed for the remainder of the printing.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

While looking for the clipped variation I found the higher 1 variation that I had forgot about. I had it with some other early variations so I think it might have been the first 187 variation.
img538.jpg

I also noticed that the tilted 1 variation has a bunch of lines in the inner pink areas that the other variations don't have. I will have to check and see if all of the tilted 1's have these.
img534 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 03-15-2024 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added the higher 1 and tilted 1 with lines info