View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 02:35 PM
John Donovan

Default Interesting set

I joined this site recently because I'm putting together a 1952 Bowman set and I love looking at vintage cards, but I ventured into the Modern forum and I saw THIS thread a couple weeks ago. I had never heard of the Topps Living Set.

When I saw how nice the cards were, on impulse I bough the current set at that time (the Acuna set...haven't received it, how long does that take?).

Watching this unfold is fascinating. Is this an opportunity to invest early on what might become a historically significant set? Or is this just a fad?

I think the beauty of the cards and the VERY interesting plan of only having one card per player (per team) certainly makes it unique.

I couldn't help myself when I saw the Week 4 set pop up on Ebay today with a Buy It Now price of $37.50. I'm a Royals fan, so I really wanted the Alex Gordon, and while I have no love for the Yankees, the investor part of me recognizes that this will be Jeter's ONLY card in this set. I could see myself recouping my $37.50 pretty easily by off loading the Jeter in the future if this set gets really popular (or the Jean Segura which looks like it had a pretty low print run).

Pretty cool idea by Topps. I wonder how many collectors out there are chasing every card, and I wonder how long Topps will keep this up? My guess is that they'll switch designs every year, but keep the numbering in order?