View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 04:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
One of the issues submitting cards to PSA from Canada is they only accept cards one of two ways.

1) Through the Post Office, Canada Post / USPS. Problem is, when you package them up and bring them into the Post Office, the most Canada Post will insure them for is $1000 CDN (which is now about $620 US). The first time I did it, I sent in close to $10K worth of cards, and basically crapped for several days until PSA sent me an email confirming receipt. The came back graded, and packaged.

2) The next package I attempted to send to them was through FedEx. On their packaging, you can document the contents as being worth whatever you'd like. However, as it was explained to me, they don't insure the package themselves; it's strictly used to document the value so you can claim it through your own insurance company. When the guy behind the counter knew what I was sending (as you have to document the contents on the Customs declaration), his eyes grew large, and I left the FedEx building with the cards in my hand.

What part of Canada are you in? There is a guy in Nova Scotia, Len Pottie, who has an agreement with PSA and has been shipping guys cards for many years. Honest guy, and knows the folks in his local Post Office. Claims he has never lost a package to PSA, and has graded tens and tens of thousands for him and Canadian customers. Now, saying that, I'm in Western Canada and have not used his services myself.

The cards I am looking to get graded now are sitting at home in my safe, among them a full set of V145-1 with the Morenz, Clancy, and Joliat RC's, a 52 Mathews (should get 5.5-6.5) and Mays (3-4), C55 Lalonde in a 6 or so, several 1957-58 Topps hockey RC's in an 8 or so, and others... so not inexpensive cards. Pushing $20K easily based on SMR value, so I'm not prepared to throw them in Canada Post for $1000 insurance. I intend to take a trip somewhere to the US when PSA does an on site submission at some point in the future... although I have no experience in doing so. I've heard the lineups can be huge, and get there early. Others can perhaps comment on that experience.
Great help, SF. I am in Ontario so sending them to NS is closer, but like you, I'd like to wait and find a on site submission too. Your story about your PO guy is one of many reasons I don't want to ship them! Cards are well known about these and even if the person look trusting, being a man or women, you just never know? Color me paranoid I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That's a heck of a nice 4.
Can't believe that card is only a 4! Looks nr/mt 6 at least to me, but what do I know?