View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I would agree with David that this is the Polytechnic Institute from New York City. The photographic studio is the clue. This photo was done at one of several photo studios owned by Edward C. Dana in Manhattan. His first studio was in Brooklyn. In the 1870's and 1880's he opened 3 in Manhattan - 14th St. and 6th Ave., 872 Broadway and 28th and Broadway. He later opened a second Brooklyn location. His portrait galleries in Manhattan were quite busy as he produced images of many of the Broadway stars of the day. It is highly unlikely that he or any of his assistants would have travelled the approximately 100 miles to Polk Township, PA to photograph a small school team. Gilbert Polytechnic would probably have used a studio in Stroudsburg or Easton which were much closer.
Michael, your response is beyond refreshing. I truly appreciate any feedback especially feedback supported by research. I too researched Dana, Brooklyn and New York. I felt the same way about the likeliness of one traveling all the way there or vice versa for a photograph. However when I furthered my research and looked into Polytechnic Institute of New York or Brooklyn it leads me to an entire rundown of the history of those colleges and how they changed their names etc. please look at my 3 Google Dr. documents. I would love to hear more from you.

Last edited by Robinsol1887; 07-16-2018 at 10:51 PM.