View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Michael I.

Default why collectors differ in approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Mike interested you said that. As a more general question in response to that there seems to be alot of turnover in this hobby where us collectors get outbid and then a year or two later the item comes up again. Any opinion why this happens. Options I see are
1) person is a dealer not a collector and sees an opportunity to flip an item, when an item I get outbid on immediately comes up for resale it really bothers me whether it should or not
2) person is fed up with the hobby and liquidating
3) person sees another item they want more and has to sell to raise the $
Me personally I hate to trade or sell anything even if I am offered "a deal I can't refuse". I am at times forced to buy a large lot to get one or two items I want and then do my best selling the rest but I try to avoid that situation. Also because the size of my collection is just too large at times I have narrowed the focus of the collection and let go of items that haven't fit the new parameters.
Would love others input.
I am like you and Scott, I know what I collect and buy maybe 1 expensive item a year and a few more middle of the line or cheap items I also hate to sell anything. I will admit I do love the research and "chase" part of the hobby, always looking for the bigger and better item for a cheaper price...haha. I have tried to always include my wife and kids in the hobby and collecting as I hope I can pass these items to them for further safe keeping.
The ruth check I bought a few years ago I researched and saw it in like 5 or 6 different action houses that I could find over the few years before I bought it, so I agree maybe some buy enjoy for a while then move on. Me I have always bought displayed for a while then tucked away in a safe deposit box and slept well knowing they were there and visit collection every now and then.

SCOTT: You will be happy to know your Cobb letter is still safe and sound in my "Man Cave" under low lighting at all times!!!