View Single Post
Old 12-17-2017, 04:54 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Do you care much about today's NFL?

I haven't been around much lately and haven't been doing much football collecting. I did get back on the football card horse this afternoon with a few commons for the '65 Philly set I am going back to work on.

Lately I have been thinking . The football cards I collect tend to be from the 1960s. Someday I may work back farther in time, but I really like 60s football. Anyway, a lot of you guys collect prewar football, while others collect 70s, 80s, etc. No matter what era of football cards you collect, how much does your like/dislike of today's NFL impact your collecting? Or does it factor in at all?

I never expected it to happen, but I find myself caring about today's NFL less and less with every passing year. I am 44 and even five years ago, I would not have thought possible my borderline indifference to today's NFL. There are a few different reasons for that, and I DO NOT want this to turn into a debate on the issues like players not standing for the National Anthem and such. I come here to get away from reality and "news." This place is an escape for me.

I just always assumed my collecting tied in somehow with watching the games. However, I am finding that it is more about handling the cards, building sets, accomplishing something, etc. and remembering the names of old players more than it is about what is on tv these days.

This has turned into a ramble, and I am sorry about that. I will go back to where I started: does today's NFL have much of an impact on your collecting, or has collecting football for its own sake taken on a life of its own?