View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 07:22 AM

Default High Series

My brother and I collected and flipped cards from 65 to 1970. He is 4 years older. I was 5 when he got hold of a mid high series 65 Johnny Callison. OMG, the kid across the street traded him 100 cards for it but the moms heard about it and nixed the deal. NOBODY had that card! However in 66, we went on our biannual trip to Minnesota and remember stopping in pittsburgh and we picked up 66 topps high series we had NEVER seen. When we brought them back everyone was amazed. Since I was only 6, I dont remember if the high series made it to Levittown or not. I imagine they did but we were the first to have them. I remember flipping the Phila football cards alot more than baseball but flipping and trading and cards in the bike spokes then was soooo common. I distinctly remember the 66 Mays in my bike spokes.

Don't remember that the high series was much of an issue except the 67 set.
Usually we bought at the local 7-11 or Two Guys Dept store (rack packs). Or when we visited our grandparents in Hazelton PA, we would hit Grandpa up for some nickles (softy) to go to the local store and buy wax packs and those wax filled bottles of colored sugar and sit on the step and open the packs. Lotta fun. Then we would sort through the cards and say out loud... got em, got em, dont got em etc... (mom hated that)

Stopped in 1970 and picked up in 75. By 1980 had every set from 41 up except 49 bowmans but got lots of them autographed. Great Great memories. Thx for letting me share.