View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 01:18 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I've come across photos with tissue over the fronts. They were often glued on the back then draped/folded over the front. So on those you don't even have to remove the tissue paper on those to display or frame the photo. Just fold the tissue the back.

The tissue was put there strictly to protect the image from scratches and similar surface damage during mailing, handling, sale, storage, etc, not unlike putting a photo in a plastic holder before shipping or putting a baseball card in a penny sleeve for storage. It was strictly for practical utilitarian purposes, not put there to be a part of the 'integral aesthetic design' of the photo. If you have to remove the tissue paper to display the photo, you have to remove the tissue paper. As at paper is translucent not transparent, it would silly to display the photo on a wall with the tissue paper covering the image.

But, as I said, with a lot to most of them--- and perhaps even all (including the ones glued to the front)--, you can simply fold the tissue paper back and removal isn't required. Even with the ones glued to the front, they will only be glued to one far edge, so you can still fold them back. Think of them as blinds over a window. You raise and lower the blinds attached above the window, you don't remove the blinds to to look out the window.

And, anyway, it's just a plain piece of tissue paper over the front of the photo. Removing it wouldn't be a moral sin. And, since it's thin delicate tissue paper, removal would be easy. Simply pull it off. There will be a couple of glue dot remnants left behind but you won't damage the photo.

Though "Comes with the original studio envelope" or "Comes with the original tissue paper still attached" enhances the value at sales time. So I'd only remove it you have to.

So you know, the Carl Horner photos were originally sold in glassine envelopes, and on rare occasion you'll see one of his photos with the original envelope. Most of the time the envelopes are long gone, probably thrown away like packaging material by the original buyers. After all, how often do people keep the envelopes things come in? The presence of the original envelope will add a few buck the final auction price of a Horner photo.

One of the neatest things I've seen was an 1800s cabinet card of Jules Verne by the famous French photographer Nadar with the original sales tag sticker on back. From a 19th century gallery in Philadelphia. That was definitely not a 'foreign object' you'd want to remove from the photo.

Last edited by drcy; 03-29-2014 at 02:38 PM.