View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Eric
Eric

Default Trimmed 1935 Chicle cards and heartbreak

So, to make a long story relatively short, I have been chasing the 1935 National Chicle set. My first vintage football set. I know, crazy. Anyway, I have decided to do the set in SGC holders. I just love the look of the cards in the holders. So classic. Jeff has been extremely helpful in this endeavor as I think he has sold most of his extras to me. Anyway, I scored 8 singles through a reputable auction home and several others from MSB sports cards. Most were not SGC slabbed, but one of the nicest from the auction was a Rockne that I was certain was going to get an 84 or 88. Auction stated that the cards were from a collection that some guy found from his grandpa's belongings. Anyway, the cards were SWEET! So I sent them in and yesterday they shipped them back and I saw the grades and my heart sunk... 6 cards trimmed, including the ROCKNE!!!!! Probably the lowpoint of collecting for me and made me briefly want to be done with the hobby, but I just like it too dang much. So, I recovered and contacted the auction house and hopefully we can work something out. Reality is that SGC grades very strictly and I appreciate that. But the other killer was that I had purchased a PSA 5 Isola #26 and it was very nice, so I was hoping for a 60, it came back trimmed as well, so there is a multi-hundred dollar hit. What a hobby. I am fortunate I can absorb those hits, but dang, I was 2 cards away from the set, and now I am back to 8 cards away. Comments anyone?