View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default 1959 Topps color / toning variations

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm asking particularly about the yellow cards, but the variations exist among some of the other colors too.

I was noticing that in comparison with some of the other '59 cards I have, that the Wille Mays #50 I just picked up (in about VG-EX shape) is a tad bit "duller" in terms of the bright color pop that you normally see on '59 Topps. It's not a showstopper considering what I paid for the card, and on the whole it still looks nice - but I'm just curious. In looking around at other '59's on ebay - I see this here and there with the yellow cards as well. PSA and the other grading companies do not seem to take off for it - there were some 7's and even what looked to be one 8 with the same type of slightly duller yellow that my Mays has up online. I've also seen this in the past with the red cards - for example in looking at some '59 Mantles - some have that gorgeous deep cherry red, and some have a slightly duller red - which is not immediately noticeable as ugly, but just different. Also with this one, I don't see any of the big 3 slabbing companies penalizing much for this.

The borders on my Mays are perhaps a tad more off-white than normal for '59 Topps, but they look considerably duller when compared to some of my cards from other sets. ('56 Topps, '61 Topps...) Again, I think the card is ok - it just looks better in bright light and not so hot color-wise if you are holding it in the shadows.

Thoughts? Does this kind of thing bother you as a collector?

Thanks,
-John

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-12-2015 at 07:08 AM.