View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I went to my first card show in 1976, so you can pave an interstate with my regretted decisions from a commercial standpoint. Literally, I could be retired right now if I'd made three purchases in 1990-1993 when I was single, living like a student and pulling down a big city lawyer's salary that I had no idea how to spend. But, in terms of my personal collection:

--I was offered a Zeenut Joe D in trade for a handful of my other Zeenut HOFers and made an alternative deal instead because I didn't want to lose so many Zeenut HOFers in that deal. D'oh!

--I saw a stack of Cobb checks at a show for $50 each. Why bother, there were so many, I can just get one later. D'oh!

--I won a big case and bought a 1954 Aaron RC in PSA 7 to celebrate. I had it for over a decade and the value of the card really didn't go anywhere so I sold it and a PSA 7 54 Mays for $2K. D'oh!

--When I was a young collecting pup working from a small budget I used to go through dollar boxes at shows. Still do but that's another story. Anyhooow, I wound up with a collection of early 1950s Mantle cards in lower grades with an average cost of about $2 each. Sold all of them in 1987 along with much of the rest of my collection including a 52 Topps Mays and a 53 Topps Mays. D'oh!

--In the other direction, I held onto a big chunk of my boxing collection when the market was red hot in 2007-2008; I even bought more in the Hull Collection sale and in a few other auctions at the time. It is worth maybe 40% today. D'oh!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-08-2017 at 08:10 PM.