View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

There's some good advice above. I've always collected on a bit of a tight budget, even in the early 80's when everything was cheap.

It really is up to you. What goals do you have in collecting, what you can tolerate etc.
If you're looking at a long term collection - mine is a bit past 40 years depending on when you count from - and do want to consider that you might sell at some point, then buying the best you can afford isn't a bad way to go. Better cards sell easier and sell easier still in better condition.
Short term better cards are an even better play. Being high bidder on a worn card means probably having to wait at least a couple years before it will be worth enough to not lose money.

But if you're less worried about that as I am, then it's pretty much anything goes. I have stuff ranging from totally wrecked to really nice. (I don't think I have any PSA 10s, but there is a 9 somewhere from one of those graded card in each pack Edge products) I basically pick up what catches my eye, and seems like a good deal for what it is.

Every time I've gone to a show with a goal in mind, there aren't any of what I want at a price I like.