Thread: authentic grade
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Default authentic grade

Posted By: Fred C

Obviously, cards that didn't have the coupons trimmed off should be eligible for a numeric grade. All hand cut cards should only be given an AUT label with an HC type of qualifier.

Personally (here's the broken record part of me going off)... I feel that the grading companies should be called Authenticating Companies and that those Authenticating Companies should provide an expert (hahaha) opinion on whether or not the card is AUTHENTIC, whether or not it has been ALTERERED or otherwise RESTORED.

AUTHENTIC - A card that is authentic and unaltered or otherwise restored. The label could also include the flaws found on the card (creases, writing, etc).

ALTERED - A card that is authentic but has been had a minor alteration to it (color added). The label should disclose the minor alteration.

RESTORED - A card that has had MAJOR rework on it. The label should include a restoration synopsis.

What this will do for the hobby is restore it to what it used to be. People actually looking at the cards and coming up with a price on the card based on the condition of the card. This will alleviate a lot of discussion about how bad the grading services are. It's almost unthinkable that there are people out there that will pay thousands of dollars because of a subjective point of view regarding the condition of a card. I suppose it may take the fun out of the hobby for those that have more dollars than brains but it will actually make it so people look closely at what they buy before they buy it. Please, don't tell me that you can't make a decision base on a scan. With todays technology people can make HUGE, CLEAR scans. If they can't then they need to figure out how to do so or get less money for their cards when they sell them. Beleive me, with dollars as a motivator I believe people will LEARN how to do this. Also, people will actually take more time out to enjoy the hobby when they make their hobby purchases. If I've offended someone by the more dollars than brains comment, I apologize. Take it for what it's worth. If you are an offended party then LEARN how to create your own set of standards and stop relying on grading companies to make that decision for you. I get tired of hearing people complain about the piss poor quality of a card graded that has been graded a 5 or 6 when it probably should have only been graded a 3 or 4.