View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
I'm sure the mentioned names of toys, bikes, model soldiers, etc. are interesting but without pictures of them are just words to me.
Well ok then, you asked for it....

1983 bike built for the Team Pursuit at the Pan-Am games. The Us won Gold in that event, and I'm fairly sure this bike was actually ridden and not one of the backup spares. I made the special front hub, and the special handlebars, those, like the frame were team only and pretty much can't be bought.

And the before picture.

And a stamp, at a first glance, a fairly common one. Until you see that the marks at the top are the bottom of a plate number that for this stamp must be 40. Plate 40 was used on an experimental steam powered press, and only about 2400 impressions were made. It was last described in any stamp publication in 1932, when photos of stamps weren't allowed. After 80 years, some experts believed that Luff who wrote about it in 1902 and the guy who wrote about it in 1932 were mistaken. Until I found this one in 2012 As far as I know it's still the only one known although the fine details have sort of proven a few other stamps to have probably been from plate 40. Still no other plate number copies.