Thread: PSA Vs. SGC
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 03:01 PM
Jordan J

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I just read the last 3 pages of this thread since it was showing in my unread, and now I have a tremedous headache.
I can appreciate this. And this is not directed at you but,...
It seems some of the laws economics are not working so well in our hobby. I postulate that collectors, by and large have created an environment where TPGs are a necessity. Too many cards have been altered and reprinted (well). Most seasoned collectors know to buy the card and not the holder but relying and third party authentication is crucial to many, especially high dollar vintage.

Yet, the most successful company is not the best. Not even close, save prices realized. It is well agreed that PSA is less consistent than SGC. Their holders are second to SGC. Their cusomter service is worse. Yet, they continue to receive a lion’s share of the submissions and realize higher prices at auction. For a number of reasons, despite the above, the buying public prefers PSA slabbed cards. They have spoken loud and clear.

I suppose there is value in the registry, but that is it. The collector universe, by and large, thinks critically and academicly about this passion and should be acting/buying according to finished product vs name recognition and marketing. But not so much. I am guilty of this too. I am sitting on a large submission. I will most likely bring it to the national this summer. For vintage I am on the fence, SGC vs PSA. SGC wins all categories. All but one. Grade for grade, they will be worth more if they are in a PSA holder. The circle will not break until there is equilibrium between prices realized.

I am asking, what will it take for that to happen? And, has that already started? It seems like there are more and more pro SGC comments on these debates lately. Can that move the needle?

Last edited by Suitntieguy; 01-31-2019 at 03:04 PM.